I wanted to continue with our series on behavior change you can implement to start putting your goals into actions. Last time we talked about how planning meals ahead of time leads to success with weight loss goals. For today, I wanted to discuss the all-oo-often-used excuse for not making your goals happen… whatever it may be, that thing I’m talking about is this:
“I don’t have TIME to do (insert goal behavior change here)”
BS. It’s called PRIORITIES PEOPLE! And with that, we’re onto today’s bullet point in the 5 Behavior Change Habits for Success:
2) MAKE THE TIME!
I will admit, I’m kind of piggy-backing off of the first behavior change I spoke about last time with this, but, it’s still relevant. Nothing gets me more aggravated as a trainer than to hear clients tell me ON REPEATED OCCASIONS they don’t have the time to do the things they need to do to get to their goals… be it planning meals, hitting the weights, getting in their mobility training, anaerobic conditioning, whatever. I can understand once or twice, or on a fairly inconsistent basis, but, I’m talking about trends here, people. Granted, I’m still green, (this is the beginning of my 7th year in the industry), but it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to realize how much you’re really into your goals if I hear the following from you more than a handful of times:
– “Sorry I couldn’t’ get my intervals in last night Mike… I had all the intentions, but Grey’s Anatomy came on so I called up all my girlfriends to come over and we had a pajama party! Grey’s in my PJ’s!!”
– “I didn’t make it to the gym because my bed just felt sooooo gooooooood!”
– “I didn’t get into the gym last week because I got a hang nail….”
Man, get outta here with that hoopla. MAKE IT A PRIORITY, MAKE THE TIME. In fact, I’ll do it for you. Let’s carve out a sample “day in the life” of Average Joe:
– 7am wake up… shower, breakfast, drop kids off at school, be at work at 8am.
– Work from 8am-5pm with 1 hour lunch break
– Home by 5:30pm, dinner at 6-6:45pm
– Socialize with family/catch up on personal items/watch tv/surf internet/check email/read books
– 6:45pm-bedtime… probably around 10-11pm, if not midnight or later.
Now let’s see where we can fit in a 45 minute training session in there:
– Before work – 6-6:45am
– During lunch break – 12-12:45pm
– After work, before dinner – 5:30-6:15pm
– After dinner, before “personal time” – 6:45-7:30pm
– Anytime during “personal time”… MAKE IT A PART OF YOUR PERSONAL TIME. It’s your HEALTH for crying out loud!
That’s 5 different time slots where we can plug in a training session. 45 minutes is a modest amount of time to dedicate to your health, people. You can ABSOLUTELY get a good, hard training session in 45 minutes, benefiting not only your skeletal muscular system, but also your cardiovascular system as well, as long as it’s done at the right intensity.
Bottom line, unless you make your Health/Fitness a Priority, You will NOT reach your Health/Fitness Goals. Period. Use your phone, make a schedule each day, and BLOCK OFF time periods where you will dedicate to your training. Don’t just say you’ll do it, BLOCK IT OFF. Write it down on a list. Once you’re done with your training, check it off the list… I can guarantee you will feel satisfied afterward. People enjoy getting things done, and to visually see that you checked off training for the day, you will feel rewarded.
Make the time, make it a priority, schedule it, do it, check it off, Fist pump to death, repeat.
Have a great day people!